True Temper Hardware Company dates back to 1808 when it began as “The Old Stone Shop” in Wallingford, Vermont. Alexander Miller, a blacksmith, manufactured hoes, axes, nails, etc in the shop made of marble from a nearby quarry. In the 1830’s, Lyman Batcheller and sons acquired the shop and began forging a variety of agricultural forks. In 1902, Batcheller & Sons joined 16 other forging companies to form The American Fork and Hoe Company, located in Cleveland, Ohio.
The company continued to manufacture a variety of agricultural products, particularly shovels and other digging tools. When the company was enlarged by a $20 million merger of small corporations by 1930, it became the largest hand-tool company in America, supplying about 90% of the hand tools used by U.S. farmers.
Over the years, its product lines expanded through acquisitions. Product lines included tubular fishing rods, golf club shafts, and ski poles. During World War II, the company manufactured steel shell casings and a newly designed bayonet.
The company’s name was changed in 1949 to True Temper reflecting the newly developed process of tempering steel. True Temper was acquired by Allegheny-Ludlum Steel Co. of Pittsburgh in 1967 and in 1981, after the company was divided into True Temper Hardware and True Temper Sports, its headquarters were moved to Pennsylvania. In 1990, the Hardware division was purchased by Huffy Corporation.
In 1981, True Temper acquired Jackson Manufacturing, a leading manufacturer of wheelbarrows and carts. In addition, True Temper acquired Meaford Steel Products, a leading Canadian wheelbarrow manufacturer, in 1996, and SuperLight, a leading aluminum rake manufacturer, in 1997.
In 1999, the company was acquired by USI and merged with the Ames Company to form Ames True Temper.
Ames True Temper was purchased by Griffon Corporation in September 2010. Griffon Corporation, is a diversified management and holding company that conducts business through wholly-owned subsidiaries. For more information on the Company and its operating subsidiaries, please see the Company's website at www.griffoncorp.com.